Sunday, June 1, 2008

Artomatic 2008

Last night I went to Artomatic 2008.  Artomatic (tagline: by artists, for everyone) is a cross-section of artists from all over the DC-metropolitan area.  It features photography, ceramics, sculptures, paintings, crafts, sketch-comedy, cabaret and even a tattoo parlour.  I went because some former coworkers of mine, Jim Tretick (Jim's site is down, otherwise I'd link) and Matthew Dailey, were exhibiting.  




Most of the art is modern or pop, so other than the photography and ceramics (which I just love in general), there wasn't that much I really liked.  I think the exhibit that affected me the most was actually Caitlin Phillips' Rebound Designs.  Ms. Phillips takes the covers of old books and turns them into handbags.  Given my reverence for books, even old, decrepit ones, I'm not sure if this is the most awesome idea I've ever seen or sacrilege.  

Still, it was an enjoyable evening, with plenty to see.  Last night we watched a sketch comedy group perform, and checked out the finalists of the second annual Sunday Source Peeps Diorama Contest.  

More importantly, I think, is the sympathetic environment and helping hand Artomatic extends to local artists.  Artomatic is growing in renown in the DC area, and thus attracts an audience full of potential buyers.  In addition to giving them a gallery venue in which to display their art (many of these artists do not have their own shops, or even work full time as artists), Artomatic artists and members give tips and pointers to new artists (including how to set up an affecting (and effective) display).  From talking to Jim, I got the impression that Artomatic is a big family - extraordinarily welcoming of new faces, but also very close.  Artists look out for each other, answer questions about their friends' and neighbors' work

I'm not sure how likely it is that DC will ever have a big art scene, but Artomatic seems like a good start.  Definitely make the time to visit before it closes on June 15.

No comments: